- Principal's Welcome
- ACT Catholic Education Roadmap
- What's on at STA - 2022 - Term 2
- Compass Parent Portal - Late Arrivals
- 2023 Enrolments - Open Days
- NAPLAN 10 - 20 May 2022
- Cross Country - Friday 13th May
- Scrunch, Collect, Play - We need your help
- STA Parish Information
- Community News
- Get Active Sports
- POEM FOREST - Enter now!
- Subway and Canteen Services
- Birthdays - April 2022
Welcome back to Term 2. I hope you managed to have a good break from the routine of school. It was wonderful to see all of the children lined up in the courtyard once again and to be able to start our shoutouts. After each break students are invited to spotlight a person or group of people who have been displaying kindness and following our school rules. Shoutouts are one way we develop and maintain a community of care. Another way we do this is through our partnership with Harvard University’s Caring School’s network. Yesterday, Mr Michael Prosper ran a professional learning session for staff on units of work provided by Harvard to support students to develop empathy and to practise kindness. Students across the school will complete these units of work this term.
We welcome Ms Carolyn Minchin to the ELC. Many of the children already know Ms Minchin who has worked in the primary school and the ELC as a casual teacher. She will be teaching the Waratahs at the end of the week. I know she is looking forward to meeting with families over the coming weeks.
ELC students and staff were all very excited to move into the ELC building today! Thank you to all of those families who helped move equipment and materials during the break, it was all very much appreciated. We look forward to being able to showcase the building to current and future families over the next few months.
Today students will participate in an ANZAC Day liturgy to mark this important day where we remember all those who have served, who continue to serve and particularly those who have lost their lives in the defence of our nation. I know we have a large number of families in our community who have some link with the Defence Forces, and so I would also like to acknowledge your contribution either through your service or in a support role.
The ACT government has recently made changes to the COVID restrictions and quarantine requirements. Attached to this newsletter is a Roadmap outlining these changes. You may notice that this roadmap is different to the one for ACT Government schools and possibly some independent schools. Catholic Education has based its guidelines on current ACT Health advice. Some of the more significant changes include:
- Visitors and staff are no longer required to wear masks - UNLESS they are regarded as a close contact
- Close contacts are no longer required to isolate and may attend school even if someone at home tests positive for COVID - UNLESS they have flu or flu like symptoms. However, you must inform the school that a member of the household has tested positive
- Students no longer need to cohort on the playground
- Parents are allowed to enter the outside areas of school grounds - we look forward to seeing you in the courtyard!
- Volunteers are permitted to enter the school building and attend excursions
- We will be leaving windows and doors open throughout the day so please make sure your child/ren have their jumpers with them
- RATs will be available on request
- There is no longer a requirement to use the check-in Canberra app however, it will still be available for those who wish to use it
Please continue to keep students who are unwell at home and test if they have cold or flu-like symptoms.
I am looking forward to seeing you over the coming term.
Take care and God bless.
Yours in Faith
|WHAT's ON @ STA in TERM 2 - 2022
|1||Wed 27/04||Term 2 Begins for Students|
|2||Tue 03/05||Year 3 National Museum of Australia|
|2||Tue 03/05||St Francis Xavier College - Year 6 Visit|
|2||Tue 03/05||Merici College - Open Day for Year 6 students|
|2||Wed 04/05||John Paul II College Open Day|
|2||Fri 06/05||Mother's Day Prayer Celebration|
|3||Tue 10/05||ELC Open Day 8:30am - 5:30pm|
|3||Fri 13/05||Whole school Cross Country|
|3 & 4||10-20/05||Naplan - Years 3 and 5|
|4||Tues 17/05||Open Afternoon 3:30pm - 2:30pm|
|4||Tues 17/05||SCC Meeting 6pm|
|5||23 - 27/05||Book Fair|
|5||Wed 25/05||National Simultaneous Story Time|
|6||Mon 30/05||Public Holiday - Reconciliation Day|
|7||Mon 06/06||Kindergarten Constable Kenny visit|
|7||Fri 10/06||STA Day Celebrations|
|8||Mon 13/06||Public Holiday - Queen's Birthday|
|8||Tue 14/06||SCC Meeting 6pm|
|8||Fri 17/06||Athletics Carnival|
|10||Mon 27/06||Reports sent home|
|10||White Token Lunch & Principal Awards|
|Term 3 - 1||19-21/07||Year 5 & 6 Camp|
With the ease of Covid restrictions, we are very excited to be welcoming families back into the school. As stated in last week's newsletter, parents will now be required to walk their student into the front office if arriving late and sign them in via the Compass Kiosk.
Please note that it is a legal requirement that if a student arrives at school after the starting time of 8:50am that they are signed in by their adult. In the event that a student is not accompanied to the front office we will be required to contact families and request you to attend the office to sign the student in before they can attend class.
We appreciate your efforts in supporting a smooth morning transition for all children.
Naplan will take place for Years 3 & 5 this term between the 10th and 20th of May. Here are some key points to remember.
- Year 5 students must use their own device during the testing period. Therefore, please ensure that devices are charged overnight and ready for use each morning. There will be no spare devices or time allocated for charging.
- Year 5 students are required to use headphones. These also need to be with each student each day.
- It is essential that all Year 3 & 5 students must arrive to school on time each day as NAPLAN testing is time controlled and will commence at 9am
For further information please refer to the below information or do not hesitate to contact your classroom teacher.
|Parish Priest||Father Tom Thornton|
|Parish Secretary||Debbie Hoffman|
|Telephone||02 6258 1563|
|Address||23 Lhotsky Street
CHARNWOOD ACT 2615
|Monday to Friday||9:30am|
|Thursday - School Mass||9:30am - one grade each week - tba|
Children's liturgy is held during the school term. All families are welcome to attend.
|Weekend Dates||6pm Saturday
|30 April - 1 May||
Andrea, Nicholas, Natalia
|7 - 8 May||
|14 - 15 May||
|21 - 22 May||
|28 - 29 May||
|4 - 5 June||
|11 - 12 June||
|18 - 19 June||
|25 - 25 June||
|We encourage anyone who wants to help with the Children's Liturgy to contact Helene Axelby on 0415 179 470 or Skye McPadden via firstname.lastname@example.org|
Red Room Poetry and The Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan invite you to enter the POEM FOREST Prize and use your words to create positive climate action.
Did you know....
- A tree is planted for every poem received
- $5,000 in prizes to win including $500 cash for each category, book packs from Magabala Books, Pantera Press and Wonderground as well as Garden tours, plants, seeds and more
- Digital publication for all entries and selected poems published in the POEM FOREST
Thanks for helping us to grow the POEM FOREST and heal habitats for future generations.
We can’t to read your poems!
The Canteen is open from Wednesdays to Fridays - for the first 10 minutes of each break. We sell a limited selection of healthy canteen approved chips and ice blocks.
Parents and staff are able to place Subway Orders Online. Click on the link below to place an order and payment as well.
Cut-off time is 9:15 AM for same day delivery.
Call on 02 6259 9101 to place your order after this time
Subway Lunch Orders can also be made, via Subway Envelope, at school. Subway envelopes, including cash, need to be placed in the Lunch Order Subway box, located outside the Front Office, by 9:30am on the day before the lunch is required. For example, if you would like a lunch order on Wednesday, the lunch order needs to be manually submitted by Tuesday 9:30am.
Here is a sample of the Subway ordering envelope. Envelopes are available from the Front Office or the classroom.
Congratulations to the following students who will be celebrating their birthday this month:
Chaia L, Indie-Rose H, Riley S, Ryan S, Thor S, Charlotte S, Jessica J, Kael A, Parker W, Mackenzie S, Estelle W, Poppy R, Eric H, Zeus B, Anon Diing, Melinda M, Miranda G